Tips and How To's for Writing a Killer Press Release
Download Free Press Release Template here
If you’ve ever wondered what exactly a press release is, and how it can help people promote their business and earn substantial revenue, then you have landed on the right page. Here we will explain to you the basics of press release and its key elements necessary to craft a killer press release.
A press release is basically a newsworthy announcement, primarily meant for news media to gain better media exposure. Mentioned below are some of the key aspects of press release:
A headline is a single sentence in a press release which reveals what exactly the PR is about. In fact, it is considered to be a very significant aspect of the press release meant for grabbing the attention of journalists. Hence, a catchy headline that has been written while keeping the journalists in mind is quite crucial.
However, the headline should be brief, up to 100 characters long (like allowed in Nixot) and formatted in title case where the first letter in each word has been capitalized. This does not apply to acronym, as they need to be in uppercase. You can download our press release with subhead here
Press Release Summary
Most of the press release distribution sites have made it mandatory to include a summary in a press release. Besides, a summary helps time pressed journalists to get the core idea of your press release.
A summary must be up to 250 characters long with 3 to 5 sentences, which is the limit in Nixot. All its sentences must be in sentence case where only the first letter of sentence is in capital form while others are in lowercase. Once again, all the acronyms need to be in capital letters.
Press Release Body
1. Dateline: A dateline consists of the date of release and city. However, in Nixot the dateline is automated and hence there’s no need to enter it manually.
2. Introduction: This is where the body of press release begins, in other words it is the first paragraph of PR that has all the 5 W’s (Who, when, what, why, and where).
3. Details: It comes after introduction and consists of further information about the news and describes the claims made in the introduction.
The body of a PR must be 500 words long (3000 characters). However, Nixot allows up to 8000 characters. There must be at least two paragraphs in a body where each paragraph has 5-8 sentences. Besides, there must be a blank space after each sentence for better visibility.
Also known as “Boilerplate”, it is a brief section that gives background information of the company that is issuing the press release.
Media Contact Information
Media contact information is the end section of press release where contact information such as name, email address, phone number, physical address, and other relevant things are mentioned for the media relations contact person. However, if the company has a XYZ.com site, then the email address must be like email_address@XYZ.com.
Some Crucial Tips
- Always make sure to write a press release in third person. For instance, avoid use of words like we, ours, us, or you. Instead, use words like them, they, and theirs.
- It is always a good idea to go through the press release written by other individuals, as it will give you a proper insight regarding how a professional press release is written. There are several good sites on the internet where you can find such press releases.